Posted by jc-Qualitystreet on 2010/10/13
One more time… and in small groups please: more fun, more feedback and more information collected even if you need more preparation effort (related to realistic content, screenshots and elements cutting, materials provided).
At a time when others are still searching and waiting for the magic prototyping tool to make wireframe, Paper prototyping deliberately focuses on proximity, human interactions, feedback, collaboration, and simplicity… some core agile values.
According to me, even more in Agile contexts, the real strength of Wireframe format is on its ability:
- To be done in a collaborative mode,
- To generate feedback,
- To share the Vision of the User interface
- To support business and development activities
- To stay at a « just enough » level (documentation, process, effort…)
And this is exactly what paper prototyping offers…
Moreover, Paper prototyping technique is FAST, EASY and FLEXIBLE (in terms of protocols…).
This is what I have observed in some group sessions:
- It is highly collaborative with a rich feedback generation (especially for group sessions)
- It enables multi disciplinary teams, various actors to get a common vision,
- It reduces communication issues: we do it in groups, face to face, in the same room…
- It fosters creativity by giving the impression that nothing is fixed and that we can change things easily
- It’s interactive and fun with direct manipulation and collective activities (far from the passivity of some traditional meetings)
- It is adaptive and scalable with various facilitation techniques adjusted to different contexts
To conclude, take a look at this huge session of paper prototyping: